I’m sorting out technical issues with my blog today, starting with the terrible curly quotes that had been disfiguring my beautiful internet text. The problem is that I write each post in LibreOffice so I can have a spell checker running as I write. Then, when I’m sure the spelling is okay and I’m happy with what I’ve written, the next step is transferring it to Komodo Edit for turning into a web page. Unfortunately, once uploaded, the curly quotes that LibreOffice inserts in my text always come out as question marks in diamonds on the internet. Turning them off means I can write blog posts with spell checking, and without having to search and replacing the curly quotes before transfering the text to Komodo Edit. I was orried it was going to be tricky, but luckily it was quite easy and I found the answer here.
Then, I thought, as long as I’m sorting out problems, why don’t I fix the biggest issue of all. This is that my site is called Starbright Illustrations, when I am in fact I’m no longer an illustrator but an author. So I decided to buy a new domain name for the site, so the site has the same name as I do just like a proper writer.
The old site, Starbright Illustrations was from over a decade ago, when I was primarily an illustrator with a bit of role-playing game design thrown in (you can find my games here). Now I’m primarily a writer, at least outside my day job as an English teacher. I’ve written several books now, including three fantasy books and two sci-fi books. I’m very proud of them and I want to feature them prominently on this new site.